Today, I discovered that my mailserver was down on a root server (running gentoo). I tried to search why and whats the problem.
- I see error messages, that some processes cannot connect to ldap
- I tried to use phpldapadmin to check whats wrong. Here I got the next error: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare password_hash()
- I changed the used php version from php-5.5 to php-5.4 … phpldapadmin again works, but I cannot login
- I see imapd segmentation faults in dmesg in libwrappers …so I guess there is a problem with sys-apps/tcp-wrappers
- I rebuild tcp-wrappers, restarting nearly all processed from /etc/init.d without success
- I get deeper into the logfiles of my server (needed to take a look into the live logfiles (which logs all into one file, which is heavy under a root server with many hosted domains)
- I see an error, that some processes (one was also slapd) cannot read /etc/hosts.deny
- I see, that only root has the permission to read /etc/hosts.deny
- I change the permission to get all a read of this file
- Restarting slapd and all stuff works again … what a pain
Feels like one of my living years are gone … sometimes I love, but sometimes I hate gentoo.
I do not know who has changed the permissions on this file … but if I found he/it … *g*